Holidays can be stressful and a little appreciation can go a long ways. Appreciation raises confidence, courage and even humor. All of which are needed while shopping, making travel plans and dealing with other stressed out people.
Here are 5 ways to increase appreciation for yourself and the people around you. All easy and totally doable with a little intentionality.
- Do an Acknowledgement Circle – This is a great activity anytime you have friends or family over for dinner. Once everyone is seated, you start by turning to the person to your left and acknowledging them for who they are to you. Nothing too long or elaborate, just heartfelt. While you do that, everyone else listens in. Then the person you spoke to turns to the person to his/her left and repeats the process. This goes around the table until you are acknowledged. Normally this starts off a little slow as people are shy about saying these things publicly but towards the end, everyone gets excited to give and receive.
- Add appreciation to your holiday cards – If you are writing out your holiday cards, take a moment to add what you appreciate about the person, couple or family. Yes, this will take a little longer to do but the connection you create is absolutely worth the extra effort.
- Before you visit, think about what you appreciate about the people in your family – I know this may sound crazy but it works. Take a moment to meditate or journal on what makes the people you are going to see special. Yes, they may have their faults (just like all of us) but there are also things that them special and unique to you. Those are things worth remembering and sharing.
- Take a moment to show extra appreciation to all the sales clerks, call center people and the others that are helping you during the holidays. If you have ever been in that position you know how tough and unappreciated those jobs can be. Be the person that brightens their day rather than demanding they be the one to brighten yours.
- Lastly – appreciate yourself – This isn’t reducing what you have to say about others but there is great importance in appreciating yourself. You can do this in numerous ways. Every time you show appreciation for someone else, take a moment to yourself to recognize something that makes you special. Journal about what you did well on any given day. And when you are acknowledged really take it in and don’t blow it off. You are special and sometimes it takes a little extra effort to remember that.
Yes, appreciation can be a challenge and sometimes it’s hard to make happen. But it’s easier than you think and so very worth doing. Please let me know if any of these help you and happy holidays.